ENSURING GREAT PORTRAITS
We aim for a happy, calm and fun energy for our sessions to make optimal portraits. For families with young children we suggest avoiding meal and nap times when scheduling sessions if possible, so little ones are happy and content.
If you want to get a haircut for your portrait, get it a week or two prior to your session. Great hair needs a few days after a cut to come into its own, to behave and look exactly right.
GOOD HAIR DAY
Sometimes families are just not complete without their beloved pet. If you’d like your pet in your portraits we ask that you let us know in advance. Please make sure they get exercise and bathroom breaks beforehand so they’re calm and happy during your session.
WHAT ABOUT SPARKY?
Smiles as you know are extremely contagious. Make sure your family is expecting the session to be all about fun and togetherness. It’s a special event designed to bring out and capture the love you and your family share. So smile, relax, have fun and your family will too!
SMILE AND RELAX
WHAT TO WEAR
• Stick to a simple palette of three to four complementary colors
• Mix it up - avoid everyone wearing the same look
• Add layers & textures for visual interest
• Show off their unique styles & tastes
• Clothes should be fitted, not baggy
• Bright colors & pastels make little faces shine
• Accessories are fun, big hats, scarves & chunky jewelry
• Bare feet or clean, fun shoes
WHAT TO AVOID
• Large patterns that can be distracting
• Large logos
• Big. white sneakers
HAIR & MAKE-UP
• We recommend choosing your favorite look and keeping things clean and simple. Avoid trying out a drastic new look or hairstyle.
• A touch of hair spray to keep things in place is all you need. Avoid shiny, stiffening hair products
• Consider going slightly heavier on makeup application, especially with lashes and lipstick
• Kids never need makeup, they are perfect as-is!
• Get everyone excited & looking forward to the session
• Select what everyone will wear & their accessories
• Get haircuts or any additional grooming services
• Schedule day-of appointments for hair & makeup
2 WEEKS AHEAD
• Confirm any day-of hair or makeup appointments
• Get outfits cleaned & pressed, & gather accessories
• Make sure everyone is getting their beauty sleep
2 DAYS AHEAD
• For small kids, bring along a toy to enjoy that keeps them smiling & calm
• Bring along any extra outfits, accessories or props like blankets
• Give yourself plenty of time to get to the session so you’re not rushed
• Be ready to have some fun!